Learn how to react and help when an emergency situation occurs. Be prepared for the unexpected.
You will learn the techniques and skills to help yourself and your community if and when an emergency happens. In the event of a major disaster, professional emergency services may be overwhelmed and unavailable for long periods of time. The widespread needs of the community will depend upon voluntary assistance. With this in mind, all local governments in Marin County have adopted a citizen training program called Community Emergency Response Training (CERT). CERT is designed to provide hands-on training to become a Disaster Service Worker, and if needed, to be able to respond upon activation to disasters such as an earthquake, flood, or a wildland fire.
CERT teams are trained in basic emergency response procedures such as:
• Conducting an initial size-up of the situation in their immediate area
• Reducing immediate dangers by turning off utilities, suppressing small fires, and evacuating hazardous areas
• Performing immediate medical triage and basic treatment of injuries
• Assessing structural integrity and performing light search and rescue
• Collecting and recording vital information to be relayed to professional responders on damage, victims, and actions taken or resources needed
• Providing leadership to untrained volunteers
Please call Sandy Wargo at 878-2623 for more information or to sign up.